Okay, I lied a little. There were also new deals signed. Chris Chelios has officially signed with the Atlanta Thrashers, but will still play with the Chicago Wolves in the AHL until he is called up by the Thrashers.
While I'm in the mood of signings talk, Minnesota Wild have also signed Marek Zidlicky to a 3-year, $12 million contract.
Now, I'll start the trade talk:
- Atlanta Thrashers didn't only just sign Chelios to a 2-way contract, they also had some dealings with the Anaheim Ducks. The Ducks traded Evgeny Artyukhin in exchange for Nathan Oystrick and a 2011 conditional pick in the entry draft.
- Boston Bruins have traded a 4th round conditional pick to the Anaheim Ducks for Steven Kampfer
- Ottawa Senators have gotten Andy Sutton from the New York Islanders in exchange for Andy Sutton.
- the Edmonton Oilers have picked up Matt Marquardt from the Boston Bruins in exchange for Cody Wild.
- The Chicago Blackhawks picked up Nick Boynton from the Anaheim Ducks. The Ducks will get future considerations from the Blackhawks.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins dipped into the trade waters again. Pens have given up prospect (and a bit of a favourite of mine) Luca Caputi and Martin Skoula for Alex Ponikarovsky from the Toronto Maple Leafs
- My beloved Montreal Canadiens have gotten their feet wet in the pool; Habs have acquired Aaron Palushaj from the St. Louis Blues in exchange for Matt D'Agostini.