4.19.2010

I Love Playing With Fire


"And I don't want to get burned!"

The chorus of the Runaways' I Love Playing With Fire.  And that's what the Canadians are doing this 2010 IIHF World Championship.

After Mark Messier was named GM of Team Canada for the 2010 WC, he named Craig MacTavish as the head coach.  Together, the two exchanged their words, thoughts, and opinions and have come up with a roster composed of 15 names.


Team Canada

Goaltenders: Chris Mason (St. Louis Blues)
Was this guy honestly the best those two could choose on?  I guess it was either him or Marty Turco, eh?  Now that he's on the chopping block, I'd much rather have Chris Mason in net than Turco.  Unfortunate for us, this year was not the year for the goalies.  But lucky Canadians, we have a lot of choices to pick from.

Defence:
Francois Beauchemin (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Brent Burns (Minnesota Wild)
Mark Giordano (Calgary Flames)
Kris Russell (Columbus Blue Jackets)
Marc Staal (New York Rangers)

I can't say I hate our blue line, but not I'm not falling in love for it.  I like the additions of Marc Staal, Giordano, and Russell, but I'm not so certain about Beauchemin and Burns.  And no Bryan McCabe!  I was hoping for him to make the team a little.

Forwards:
Rene Bourque (Calgary Flames)
Steve Downie (Tampa Bay Lightning)
Evander Kane (Atlanta Thrashers)
Steve Ott (Dallas Stars)
Corey Perry (Anaheim Ducks)
Rich Peverly (Atlanta Thrashers)
Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay Lightning)
John Tavares (New York Islanders)
Ray Whitney (Carolina Hurricanes)

"Fire power" are the first words that come to my head when I see the list of forwards.  With names like Bourque, Perry, Peverly, Stamkos, Tavares, Whitney, and Kane, getting shots on the net is not going to be a problem.  It's going to be getting those shots in the net and being defensively responsible that will cause some heads to turn.  But Bourque, Kane, Perry are just a few of those names that are defensively responsible.

I don't hate this roster, but I'm not sure if we can end our gold drought.  But there are always ways to prove critics wrong.

Team USA

Goaltenders:
Scott Clemmensen (Florida Panthers)

Why didn't they choose Ty Conklin of the St. Louis Blues?  I would've chosen Conklin over Clemmensen in a snap, but maybe USA has got some secrets and tricks up their sleeves.

Defencemen:
Taylor Chorney (Edmonton Oilers)
Matt Gilroy (New York Rangers)
Jack Hillen (New York Islanders)
Mike Lundin (Tampa Bay Lightning)

Does the defence pool look kinda shallow?  2 defensive pairs will not last you the tournament.  Unless they intended on adding more names, I'm not going to even bother to talk about what's wrong with this roster.

Forwards:
Ryan Carter (Anaheim Ducks)
Brandon Dubinsky (New York Rangers)
Christian Hanson (Toronto Maple Leafs)
David Moss (Calgary Flames)
Eric Nystrom (Calgary Flames)
Kyle Okposo (New York Islanders)
Ryan Potulny (Edmonton Oilers)

Other than the Islander and Oiler, I like the choices made.  Strong bodies that can score and cause a rukus.  I like, and I hate.  A lot of these forwards play a gritty game and gritty can get you far.  I'd like to see where these players take Team USA.

I'm expecting many more additions to the rosters before the 17 days are up.

No comments:

Post a Comment